DIRECT HEAT DRYERS
LDC Rotary Direct Heat Dryers are manufactured in two basic configurations:
- Co-current (also referred to as parallel flow)
- Counter-current (also referred to as counterflow)
Co-Current Rotary Dryer
Many Louisville direct heat dryers are provided in co-current orientation. With the co-current or parallel flow dryer, wet material is introduced into the drum on the same end that the hot gas enters the dryer. Conversely, dry material discharges on the same end of the dryer as the exhaust vapor. The co-current dryer offers two advantages:
• The wettest material comes in contact with the hottest gas as they enter the dryer. This results in a rapid evaporation and rapid cooling of the hot process gas. This typically allows the dryer shell to operate slightly cooler than the counterflow configuration, which extends the life cycle and decreases maintenance o the dryer.
• Since the dry product and vapor exit the dryer on the same end, a correlation exists between the exhaust gas temperature and the condition of the dried product. The LDC burner management system responds to the exhaust gas temperature which
Counter-Current Rotary Dryer
Louisville direct heat dryers are provided in counter-current dryer orientation when the application is warranted. With the counter-current or counterflow dryer, wet material is introduced into the drum on the opposite end that the hot gas enters the dryer and dry material discharges on the opposite end of the dryer as the exhaust vapor. The counter-current dryer is usually considered for processes such as:
• The material is going to be heated in addition to drying. In some aggregate and ore processing applications, it is desired that the material
The direct heat dryer has a unique set of design requirements considering the potential need to somewhat isolate the atmosphere for proper processing. When it comes to seals, clearly one size does not fit all. Louisville Dryer Company can offer many different types of drum sealing devices specifically designed to meet the needs of the application.